Thursday, January 17, 2013

Finding Life: Winter Weekend

Every single winter, for the past four years, I've gone to Lake Champion, New York for YoungLife winter weekend. And the fact that I am sitting in my bedroom an ocean away from all of my friends who are packing their bags and hopping on that bus this weekend... well... it's depressing.

Ever since my first visit to Lake Champion in 2009 my life has never been the same. And in the past four years that I have been a true believer in Christ, each year that I return to that camp I am filled with even more emotion and gratitude for my life, my Savior, and His many blessings.

My first weekend at Lake Champion took place when I was in 7th grade. Mrs. Seider, my former math teacher and Wyldlife leader, somehow convinced me to hop on this bus, spend a weekend with other middle schoolers, and listen a speaker talk about Jesus a few times.
 But something that may seem so boring and ordinary turned into a weekend that will remain with me for eternity. On the second night the whole camp had 20 minutes of silence outside after hearing about the crucifixion and the relationship that Jesus died to have with us.
Then, I was just a thirteen year old girl. But I sat on the freezing cold path overlooking the frozen lake and said my first prayer as a true believer, with tears streaming down my face and a heart that was longing for the love of the cross to restore my broken life.

Every year I pass by that spot near the lake and remember that little broken girl that was so desperately searching for love, acceptance, and fulfillment. Someone to trust. Someone to bear the burdens with me. Someone to be there when I felt so alone. Someone to know me inside and out- all the good and bad- and still love me unconditionally. And there in the frozen night, looking up at the bright moon, I found that person. I finally surrendered to The One who had been pursuing me all along saying, "I can be all that and more for you, my child."

Going to camp every year now isn't about accepting Jesus into my heart, because He's already there. Every twelve months though, I can go back to that familiar place as a mile stone and reflect on how much I've grown in my faith and the things that He has done in my life. But most of all, during the 20 minutes of silence, I like to take a moment to look around at the hundreds of kids sitting around that camp in silence, and pray for every soul that is coming Home to know their Father for the very first time...

...I know nothing more beautiful than that...

Have a great time this weekend, YoungLife! I will be praying for all of you, and for God to move mountains in the lives of every teenager that hears His wonderful news!
I love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment