Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Dance With Me


I'll never forget that summer day.
When the bright blue sky
Turned black and grey.

Feeling the sand under our feet
And with wild hair
We moved to the breeze
of the summer air.

Only 30% chance
weather.com said.
I lay back in the sun
and cleared my head.

That first boom of thunder 
I won't forget your face.
You jumped up
searching all over the place.

People were running.
Packing so fast.
But where to go?
It was sure to pass.

"This is dangerous"
"We'll die!"
you told me with fear.
I laughed.
Storm-chasing wouldn't be your career! 

But I assured you that soon
It would all be clear.

We stuffed our purses and clothes in the cooler.
It kept them dry.

The rain fell hard.
The umbrella was no use.
I was already wet.
There was nothing to loose.

Our adrenaline turned to excitement.
Your fear melted away.
There wasn't a thought in the world
beyond that moment. 
That day.

We screamed and danced.
Ignoring the pain.
How it pelted our bare skin
all that rain.

You picked up your chin.
We looked to the sky.
Palms wide open.
Hands held high.

Each droplet was blinding.
Our shouts arose.
But the joy was undeniable 
as we jumped on our toes.

They should have stayed.
The rest of the people that day.

The lightning was far off.
And we were safe.

From the initial fear
I'm glad we didn't run.
What a memory we made...
such a special one.

I'll never forget that day...
When we praised in the rain
Or the love in my heart...
For my girl Leah Jayne.





No comments:

Post a Comment