Monday, September 24, 2012

Skipping School


Today was without a doubt my best day in Spain thus far.

Because of all of the difficulties with my classes, I am changing to a new school on Tuesday. In the mean time, I stayed home today while my host parents took my sister Gloria back to college.

I woke up at 9:30 and went for a run along the beach again. Since it was a Monday morning everyone was off to school or work, so few people were on the path as I ran almost two miles. The sun was strong but a cool breeze swept in off the sea and felt amazing.

Back at home, I took a shower, ate lunch and listened to some music for a while.  What was I to do with a whole day to myself? Anyone with an awesome camera and a beach two blocks away from their house would know….

I straightened my hair, put on a dress, grabbed my purse and walked the two blocks to the sea. For two hours I walked down the path along the beach and explored the different rocks that jet out into the water. I listened to my iPod and took lots of pictures. The more time I spend by the sea, the more I fall in love with this beautiful city. I returned home with scratched legs and messy hair but my camera was full and a smile was bursting from my lips.




Earlier in the morning I had emailed Mr. Casey, my history teacher back in the states, and asked him if I could Skype with my history class today. He had replied and said that we would chat during his 9th period class so I had to wait until 8pm my time. I had a few hours to kill and went swimming in the pool and then chatted with some other exchange friends that are also living in Spain.

Relaxing on the patio and listening to music, I waited until 8:00 when Mr. Casey called me and we began a video chat with his entire history class. I was so nervous and excited to see all my friends. I wanted to tell them everything that was going here in Spain and remind them to enjoy all of the opportunities that they have in Pitman; like schools clubs, sports, and really nice teachers!! Haha

At the end of their school day all the students left and I waited half an hour before Skyping with several more of my teachers. I introduced Señora C. and Señorita M. to my host parents. They chatted in Spanish and my wonderful host mother invited them to come visit in the spring. Hopefully Señorita will really be able come!!!! Other people joined the chat too like Mr. Petrillo, my English teacher, and lots of friends that drifted through. I was overjoyed to see everyone.

Today is my host parents wedding anniversary so we enjoyed a delicious dinner of crabs and fish. My mom explained that the fish was fresh out of “el mar”: it was caught today and then put right onto our dinner table. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it, because it didn’t have a fishy taste and had a great consistence.

Words can’t express how happy I feel tonight. Skyping with everyone didn’t make me feel homesick at all. Somehow I still feel like I’m right there with you, going to school, and working through the day. To all of you who have been messaging me and responding to my blogs, thank you so much for all of your support and prayers. Even thousands of miles away, I feel exceptionally loved and supported by all of you. Your kind words brighten my day and help me to get through the tough times.

Tomorrow morning I’ll be starting classes at a new school, so wish me luck with that! Goodnight everyone, Love always! <3


No comments:

Post a Comment