Sunday, September 2, 2012

Gifts & Goodbyes

Today was marked with more emotional goodbyes from family, coaches, teachers, and YoungLife leaders. Trying not to cry when saying goodbye to Robin and Darren Shelburne was the most impossible thing. How could you face the fact that two of the most amazing and influential people in your life will be disappearing for ten whole months and not even shed a single tear? IMPOSSIBLE! It was so awesome to look around my backyard tonight, see so many loved ones, and remember how they helped me get this point.

Speaking of "this point" I think it's really important to remember that I didn't get here without the help of SO many people. To thank each individual would take forever, but there are a few that stick out in my mind.

First of all, where would I be without Mrs. Seider? This woman believed in my potential even when I looked like a little emo kid in sixth grade. She took me under her wing and has remained a reliable adult  figure in my life for over five years.

Seventh grade was an interesting year, and I was blessed to have Miss Fox and Mr. Harper just before they retired. The two of them were strict teachers that set high expectations for their students. Striving to meet those expectations reminded me of what I was capable of. Beyond that, both Miss Fox and Mr. Harper were such respected people and had so much knowledge that they offered their students. Seventh grade was definitely a year of change for me. I made new friends, pulled my grades back up, and set new goals.

Then, eighth grade opened up my eyes to more of the world around me. Mr. Petrillo was unlike any other english teacher I'd had in the past, and I really enjoyed Romantic literature that dove into the depths of emotions and imagination. The literature, music, and stories of travel that Mr. Petrillo shared with us sparked an interest within me. I realized that there was so much out in the world that I had never experienced.

Freshman and Sophmore years, I was blessed with two great spanish teachers. I became more interested in Spanish as I realized my progress. Señorita M. has such a contagious energy that always brightened my day and encouraged me in all aspects of my life. Between her and Mr. Petrillo, the two of them were such an encouragement and advocates for studying abroad.

I'll be boarding a plane in two days with great appreciation for all of the people behind me that pushed me to this point and have remained by my side. In no way was this an easy journey. Thank you for sticking by me and offering your love and support. I'm not going to let you guys down.





No comments:

Post a Comment