Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My Love for English Teachers!

Today was my second day of school, and if wasn't for a glorious vacation (english class) than I don't know if I could have made it.

This morning I woke up at 6:45, got dressed, and packed my own sandwich for lunch. At 7:45 Javier drove me to school. Somehow, I figured out my schedule and found my first class on time. After that I learned to find familiar faces and follow them to the next room.

My first class was philosophy...? I really don't remember. I just stared at my teacher and tried to figure out which famous actor he looks like the most. He's old, and not attractive, but still every "Hollywood" looking. English was second period and she speaks in english for all 55 minutes of class. God bless that woman! We listened to a song by Pink and the students had to translate it in spanish. My teacher calls on me a lot, and it's nice to be recognized whereas in my other classes I feel like I blend in with the wall.

After third period I had 30 minutes of free time to go outside and eat my sandwich. I found Ana, my host sister's friend, and sat with her during free time. I wasn't included in much of the conversation, but it felt really good to have a place to belong and Ana is always really sweet to me. My next class was Art history and I struggled to stay awake as my little old teacher spoke of famous artists and architects that I'd never heard of before. To be honest, going to art museums or observing artwork has never really been an interest of mine, so this is definitely a learning experience.

The rest of my day consisted of several boring classes where I stared at the teacher, completely clueless, and tried to understand basic spanish words that they spoke. My valenciano teacher politely brought me in front of the entire class and asked me various questions that I couldn't answer. The students got a good laugh out of that, but I tried to smile at myself and not be upset. Every exchange student has to learn how to be laughed at... and laugh along sometimes.

At the end of the day I had art class for two whole hours. My teacher was quick to observe my terrible artwork and ask why I was even in that class if I can't  draw. I told him that the school placed me in that class and it was beyond my control. He wasn't happy though and I'm almost positive that he's going to ask the principal to change me schedule. I'll just have to wait and see...

Everything is completely exhausting. At 3 o'clock I was ready to be done for the day. My brain never stops processing things and my dreams are already in spanish. The only problem is, I can't even understand the spanish in my dreams so I wake up just as frustrated and confused as I did when I fell asleep. There's really no escape at this point.

Tonight I helped my younger sister with her English homework. I couldn't get her to understand that you say "you are" for both "you" and "you all" as in "tu" y "vosotros".  I showed her my spanish notes from school in the U.S. and I told her that spanish is difficult for me to learn. Elena pointed to her notes and said that english is just as difficult for her. It was a good bonding experience though, and it was nice to feel useful and not completely invisible like I felt in school today.

Buenas Noches!

Oh, I forgot to mention the fried lamb brains I had for dinner... Lamb brain turns to a thick cream when you bite it. Sorry if that's too descriptive for some of you. It wasn't that bad, but I don't think I'll try it again! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment