Thursday, November 29, 2012

17 years of Wanderlust

Another year older- another year wiser. With all this life experience I'm getting, it's no wonder my wisdom teeth are coming in so fast...

First, in honor of my birthday, I'd like to take you back in time for a bit and tell a short story:

It was 1995 and my mom was at her baby shower- pregnant with me. During a conversation with her cousin (who believed in Astrology and horoscopes) it became known that my mother was due at the end of November- around the same time that my older sister had also been born.

"Two November babies, eh? They're gonna be travelers when they grow up," her cousin said.
My mom wasn't much of a believer in reading the stars/ universe or whatever astrology does, so the conversation was quickly put out of mind and forgotten for many years.



I was born on November 28th just 6 days after Danica's Birthday. I grew up. I became aware of the world around me. The wanderlust within my being was like a forest that once caught fire could not be stopped- whether it's in the stars or because God has a plan for my life and in my obedience it will be brought to fruition. But here I am "on the other side of the pond" seventeen years later and the once forgotten words of my mother's cousin are being echoed by my actions.

Not only do I love traveling the world but I'm intrigued by the universes we create that cannot be seen. I'm talking about the relationships that we have with family, friends, Our Creator, and ourselves. To me, having a conversation with someone who lets me to go behind their walls of defense and see behind their masks, is one of the most fascinating things. Not only that, but you feel a sense of honor knowing that you may be one of the few who ever sees this soul almost completely transparent. Do I think we can ever be transparent 100% with anyone? NO. God's the only one who really knows us like that: he sees both the inside and out. But when it comes to sharing your life with other human beings you always have a choice as to who you share with and how much. Some may misinterpret my interest for being nosey and other times I don't always react appropriately when people are honest- but I'm working on it. I'm only human.

I'm not sure of much. I truly believe that I will return from my exchange year with more questions than answers. And at this point, my purpose is no more evident than it was before. Trying to predict my life in the future is like when you're driving on the highway during a downpour and you can barely even see the lines painted on the road or your front bumper: There is too much happening in the moment that you're in and anything beyond that can change in a matter of seconds.

Emma (my exchange friend here in Denia) and I often have talks about our futures. Next year she'll be going to college and I'll be out of high school soon too. Which school? What major? A career or a family? Is either one really ultimately in our control? And the answers are the same. We just don't know. I always conclude that one life isn't long enough to live out all the things I'd like to do. So which things will I choose? Will I go for the international career that will take me to new corners of the world and to learn more languages? Or will God bless me with the opportunity to be a stay at home mother- to do my best to raise children in this crazy life? But maybe I'll a spanish teacher. I could work with high schoolers, try to inspire them in their lives, and expand my knowledge of this language in which I hope to someday be fluent in. Those are my plans though- His plans are the one's that ultimately matter.

Like I said though, I'm driving on the highway in a downpour, so for now I'm just going to focus on the moment and do my best to keep a grip on the wheel...



 I'm 17 years old. I've come a lone way from the lost kid that I once was. Everyday the Lord is changing my heart and filling me with so much love that I'm dying to share with this world. I'm a single human being among 7 billion (and counting) on this earth. But at the same time, I am vastly different from anyone who has ever, or will ever, exist.

So last night we toasted over a drink at dinner- and I'll say it again now (even if toasting to yourself is odd...) I'm gonna celebrate me. Here's to the past 17 years of my life and to all that the future holds. I only hope to walk in the way The Lord has intended for me to- and to give back to this world even a fraction of what I've gained from being a part of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment