Sunday, October 14, 2012

Expectations

Everyday I seem to become more frustrated and disappointed in myself. Seeing as it's already mid-october, my spanish speaking skills seriously have not met the expectations that I had for this time in my exchange. Some of you might say that I'm being too hard on myself, but I can't help but regret all the time that I wasted not learning spanish - especially in the summer months prior to my departure.

This weekend my host family went to a wedding from friday-sunday and I stayed here in Dénia with my Rotary counselor, Paqui. She is an extremely sweet old woman and lives with her little dog in a high-rise apartment near my school.

On friday night I took a shower after dinner and was headed off to bed when Paqui suddenly seemed concerned for me. She asked if I wanted a hairdryer and when I declined her offer she further insisted that I dry my hair before going to bed because "it's bad for my health". I assured her that I've slept with wet hair, almost every night, all my life, and I wouldn't get sick. Later I also used the same reasoning to explain why I don't wear slippers around the house- and I am still in perfectly good health.

Saturday morning was quite overcast, but nonetheless, we drove to a neighboring town with a large outdoor market and walked around for a few hours. At 14:00 we returned to Denia and I met with two other exchange students to have lunch. (they use military time here) Both Eli and Jarrod are my age and have come to Spain from the U.S. so it was nice to eat lunch and let the conversation flow effortlessly in a language that we could all speak and understand.

Jarrod had a large plate of french fries while Eli and I were slightly more daring- ordering a seasoned dish of mashed potatoes with octopus for an appetizer and a dish with duck meat and mushrooms for our main meal. Some things- such as this rice dish- must be eaten by more than one person because they are cooked in large quantities- so Eli and I split that pot of deliciousness!

Today Paqui brought to me the neighboring city of Javia where we walked along the beach and walked the dog. The view of the sea and mountains seemed even more beautiful than the view from Denia and I made a mental note to return here on vacation someday.

Tomorrow starts a whole new week of school, or rather falling-asleep-complete-spanish-confusion-daydreaming-of-home-awfulness.

Well that about sums it up!




No comments:

Post a Comment